Monday, May 28, 2012

I think the Moto Universe is sending me a message.....

I am still dealing with a sick bike, Scarlet is still down with her bike ailment with no end in sight. I have been riding Motorcycle Man's 1983 V45 Magna 750, UNTIL tonight. I rode to a meeting I had, all was okay until I got home. I was going to put Monster away & tuck her in for the night and that is where things fell apart. I was going to put the bike in neutral & park. I pulled the clutch in all the way and was gently toeing up when there was a loud 'snap' sound and the shifter went floppy. NOT GOOD. Oh my goodness I just about had a heart attack on the spot & threw up, I hurt Monster. But the worst is yet to come.

So who rounds the corner but Motorcycle Man, all I can say is UGGGGHHHH!!! How do you tell a guy who has been good naturedly letting you go freewheeling on his bike that there is now a problem. I told him what happened and let's just say he is NOT a happy camper right now. I am officially dubbed the 'Bike killer'.(Let's just forget that the bike is 30 years old) He rolled Monster to the fixing spot under the deck and started taking it apart, the shifter linkage snapped off and needs to be welded or a new/old/used one found. I have already looked on eBay and located some. I am going to phone the motorcycle salvage place tomorrow & see if they have the linkage assembly/shifter/footpeg.

Tomorrow getting to & from work is complicated by the fact I have no transportation to get to/from work. I am going to have to cancel the insurance on Scarlet because I have no idea when or if she is going to be fixed. My scoot is not insured and that in itself is complicated because I can't insure it because Motorcycle Man is on the title & he has to do it. I am feeling exasperated, frustrated and completely overwhelmed by my 2 wheel transportation issues. I don't know if the moto universe is sending me a message that the riding thing needs to stop or it's just bad bike juju, I just dunno.

I wish the bike fairy would plop a bike on my doorstep......

15 comments:

David Masse said...

Cheer up Dar, that's the thing with vintage vehicles. Bob and I were sitting on a bench on Granville Island late Friday night and he mentioned your challenges with Scarlet. Sounds like the issue with Monster is maybe a little easier to fix. You'll get back to where you want to be, have faith. Don't blame yourself. Old stuff just sometimes breaks unaccountably. Here's hoping that those elusive parts pop up out of the blue to make it all better.

Fuzzy said...

Sorry to read you're elbow deep in troubles with the bikes.

If you subscribe to that type of thinking (i do) maybe you're right - maybe the universe IS telling you something - like maybe you shouldn't be riding right now. Never what you want to hear, I know.

Keep your chin up.

::hugs from NY::

Unknown said...

Dar:

If there is anything we can do over here, let me know. I can pick up the shifter from ??, try the Honda Centre in Burnaby. I can pick it up and FEDEX it over ASAP. Is this the splined-Lever ? perhaps someone could just weld it up

Don't blame yourself, if it's mechanical, it will break

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Keith - Circle Blue said...

bob is right, "If it's mechanical, it will break." The transportation thing is a pain...and, that, too, will work out.

It's my experience we all go through times like this. My Grandma used to talk about things happening in "3's"--not so much about the number, but about how streaks of bad luck come and go. And, this, too, will pass.

~Keith

Trobairitz said...

Like any good Mistress you are just causing trouble all over the place.

Seriously though I hope it isn't too hard of a fix. I am sure Motorcycle Man doesn't hold it against you as it probably would have done the same to him. I am just glad it didn't do it downtown, that you were already home.

RichardM said...

I was just thinking the same thing, if this had happened away from home, then it would have been a real problem and a hassle. What better place for something like that to break than in your garage.

So maybe you are very fortunate!

Pam said...

Ahh! Just want to pipe-in and believe that the bike fairy is bringing good will your way! (((hugs))) from Minnesota!

Roger said...

Stuff happens...it will make you a stronger biker!!! IT the long ru it will get sorted.

Dar said...

Thanks everyone! It has just been a tough go lately. I seem to be having more downs than ups and it kind of gets to you after awhile.

Deb said...

Call in and get that scooter insurance re-activated and ride that little machine, Sister!

Meanwhile, let's keep looking for that Shadow part...

Change is coming and it's going to be GOOD!

I just feel it in my bones...

Chin up! :=)

Troubadour said...

By any chance does the shifter linkage from Scarlet match up to Monster both being Hondas of the same era? That would get you on the road until the new part comes in.
If M/C Man is as patient with you as he was teaching Jr to ride the scooter I'm sure he isn't blaming you. He knows it isn't your fault he's just a little frustrated this happened on top of trying to diagnose Scarlet's ailment. Guys get grumpy, it's nothing personal.

Keep calm and carry on.

SonjaM said...

A real bummer that you have two hurt bikes in the stable right now, glad that you had your breakdown on Monster right at home.

But I am with Deb. Take it as a sign from the road gods that the lil' scoot wants to get back on the road again.

ToadMama said...

Being sidelined does suck. What rotten timing, eh? I also believe it could be a sign that you are supposed to stay off two wheels temporarily. I'm sure you'll get it sorted out and will be back on the road in no time. The work transportation issue is bad. Maybe it's a sign that you are supposed to quit working and live life as a free spirit! :-)

Andy said...

It is the Universe telling you that you need to travel to Oregon and ride back on a Pacific Blue and White Triumph Bonneville SE...I just happen to know someone who has one for sale.....hehehe

BeemerGirl said...

I really hope you are joking about M/C man being upset with you. As bobskoot says, if it is mechanical it will break. It could have just as easily happened on his watch. ;)

I'm sorry you are experiencing so many negative bike troubles! I hope eveerything improves soon.